Family travel insurance covers the whole family, as the name implies. Usually, two adults under 60 and two children under 21. This policy covers four people individually and is cheaper than buying four separate policies.
Many insurance companies offer riders to cover people under the age limit. This will cost more than four separate policies. If they have three kids, the same logic applies.
Why family travel insurance?
Family vacations are fun but risky. A small weather change may not affect adults but may affect children. Most foreign countries have high doctor and medicine bills.
Family travel insurance plan helps. Medical costs up to the limit are covered. Some insurers offer cashless hospitalisation. Family travel insurance benefits the insured’s family. Examples of this type of travel insurance plan and its benefits:
Family travel insurance’s features:
- Flight delay: Your insurance can cover hotel costs for you and your family if a flight is delayed.
- Accident and medical benefit: In the event of an accident or illness abroad, your entire family will be covered. Several insurers also cover late-trip illness.
- Passport cover: Losing a passport could be disastrous. Your family travel insurance will cover passport replacement if you or a family member loses theirs.
- Repatriation: In accidental demise, your policy will pay your nominee. The policy will return the insured’s remains back home.
- Affordable Premiums: Buying individual international travel insurance from India for each family member is expensive. A family floater plan secures their trip faster and cheaper.
- Hijack Help: Though rare, a hijacking can end your trip. Many insurers can offer a hijack distress allowance to help insureds cope with this trauma.
- Worldwide 24X7 assistance: In an emergency, you can contact your insurer in Australia or the Schengen region. Online or via their toll-free number.
Understanding family travel insurance
Understand the policy coverage. If you’re staying with family or friends, hotel cancellation reimbursement won’t be as important as comprehensive medical coverage. You may also need travel health insurance.
If you and your family take more than 2-3 foreign holidays a year, a family floater travel plan may be better than a single-trip policy. These family travel insurance plans allow 2-3 trips per year as long as the total number of days does not exceed the coverage period.
Family travel insurance rarely covers adventure sports or pre-existing conditions. Therefore, if you need insurance for these activities or pre-existing health conditions, talk to the insurance company and make sure your family is covered. A stress-free vacation is worth the extra cost.
These plans cost less than annual family travel insurance. However, travel insurance from India with the lowest premium may not cover certain risks or have limitations when covering them.
Family travel insurance coverage
Most insurers offer various plans. These vary in coverage and duration. Basic family travel insurance covers only a few situations like:
- Medical and repatriation costs (i.e., when you are stuck in another country with no money and have to be repatriated back to India)
- Personal injury resulting in disability or death
- Lost passports
- Baggage loss/delay
- Flight cancellations
- Unavoidable hotel extension
- Add other covers for bad weather, hijacking, personal liability, fire, home cover, etc. Most insurance companies offer two or three-tiered policies that cover additional risks for higher premiums.
Family travel insurance exclusions?
Best travel insurance in India has many benefits, but be aware of its exclusions. Family travel insurance’s exclusions vary by insurer.
- Travelling against medical advice
- Pre-existing diseases
- Self-inflicted injuries
- Pregnancy isn’t covered.
- Scuba diving, mountain diving, and other extreme sports are not covered.
- Loss from illegal or anti-social behaviour is excluded.
- Separately shipped baggage is not covered.
- Loss of baggage outside your trip won’t be covered.
- Claims won’t be accepted if lost baggage and other important documents aren’t reported to authorities.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.